Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Aruna

Field day was the most dreaded day of the school year for me. And only for one reason: running. I like sports and would consider myself athletic, but when it comes to running, I've just always dreaded it. Particularly on field day when they lined you up on the track against your peers and made you race to the finish. No matter how hard I pushed I always came in last or second to last. It was like those nightmares when you're running from the bad guy and you're just not going anywhere. Ug.

I married a runner. And I'm amazed and inspired by him. And now all these other people in my life have taken up running, even my own mother! (don't take it the wrong way mom, I'm just especially impressed because you're more "seasoned" in life ;) For anyone who has watched the Biggest Loser, these crazily obese people end up running marathons by the end! It seems like you runners just decide to do it. So when I heard of the Aruna 5K, I made my decision that I would "just do it". And to me, there is no better cause to run for.

The issue of human trafficking is gaining awareness. Have you heard about it? In the news? On the web? Through a friend? It's very real. Near and far. Greed and addiction. Money and sex. A dangerously powerful combination. It's so heart-wrenching, sickening even that many just can't/don't/won't admit it's a problem, or even acknowledge it.

And that's why I'll run. Because the things I might experience: fear, anxiousness, self-consciousness, loss of pride, physical pain are things that these women experience every day. Again and again. And that is what will keep me going. In the scheme of things this 5K is no big deal. But I will remember the symbolism in my running. And temporarily sacrificing some of my own comfort is the least I can do. I can run for their freedom.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

It's not about speed - it's about the finish.