Sunday, June 17, 2012

Our Papa

Happy Father's Day Papa! We were so excited when Mama asked us to share a few things on her blog in honor of Father's Day. She proofread everything of course, but the following is straight from the heart of the both of us: Asher and Millie.

Do you remember when you found out that I (Millie) was coming? It was a bit of a surprise since Asher was only about 6 months old and you and Mama were still living in survival mode most days. Not to mention that you were packed in that tiny little house. But I gotta say Papa, I think I stole your heart. Sure, the thought of raising a girl can be intimidating- we're fragile, ya know? But you swept me off my feet with your still-in-practice baby-soothing skills and tender love for me as a baby girl. And I never feel safer than when I am wrapped in my father's arms.




My favorite time of the day is when you come home. It's obvious by the way I dance around and squeal. I just can't wait for you to pick me up and kiss me. You make me laugh like no other when you tickle me with your sandpaper chin. I don't have to clamor for your attention because I always have it. That gives me a real sense of security. 

I also appreciate you teaching Asher what it is like to be a man. I think he treats me better because of it. We'll always have times that we annoy each other like brother and sister tend to do, but I know he is looking out for my better interest. I have a feeling it's pretty special to have two men in my life who are looking out for me like that. Thanks for loving me and making me feel like a truly beautiful little girl Papa. I hope one day that I will marry a man like you.

Hugs and kisses,
Millie




Happy Papa Day! I've had a hard time narrowing down the things I wanted to tell you. We have had so many fun times and I've learned so much from you. And it's only been 3 years! Well, almost 3 anyway...

Do you know how much I love helping you, Papa? It all started with mowing the lawn. Most kids have to wait until they're like 8 or something to be able to mow, but you just threw me in a backpack at 10 months and off we went. It's so powerful to be behind that noisy piece of machinery. And it sure is a great view. I know I'm getting heavy these days so I'm trying to enjoy it while it lasts. Oh, and I also LOVE to help you shovel after it snows. I know sometimes the slippery sidewalks tend to make it look like I'm doing Pilates in my snowsuit, but there's nothing better than sweating underneath 5 layers of clothes, side by side with you. Plus, being able to drink liquid chocolate afterward isn't too bad either. 





Last summer you ignited my love for baseball. Well, I guess it's really softball, but either way, I just couldn't stop asking, "Watch Papa play ball?". I know that you and Mama make it sound like your team is bad or something, but I don't really understand that. You look like an all-star out there to me!

Papa, did you know that my favorite part of every day is when you spend time with me before bed? I know I've been objecting to the teeth-brushing lately, but it soothes my soul when you read to me. It's so awesome that you read all the way through Green Eggs and Ham almost nightly. I also really like that Bible that you got for us at Easter. It helps me understand more about Jesus and life in general. And thanks for teaching me how to pray. I know that you and Mama mention God a lot, but I'm still figuring things out and it's helpful for you to model that each night and at dinner. Now I can pray for my family and friends. And neighbors. And other random things that come to mind, like closets. (sometimes when I'm stumped I just look around the room for something to pray for) But seriously, it's so good to know that God cares enough to listen to me and that I can ask for forgiveness for the poor choices I make. I tend to need some help with making good choices in the heat of the moment these days... 

Oh, and how can I forget. You make me feel safe. Not because you would beat someone up if they tried to hurt us, but the thing that makes me feel safest is when you kiss Mama. Or when you hug or cuddle her, or make her laugh. I don't know what it is, but seeing that just helps me to know that everything is good. That everything is gonna be okay. 

I hope that I can be a Papa like you some day. I know that sometimes I can make you frustrated and that Sissy and I are a lot of work for you and Mama right now. But in my eyes, you are everything that a Papa should be. Without you I would have no idea of what a loving, hard-working, man who loves God would look like. And most importantly, I know that you are proud of me. See for yourself.

I love you SO much,
Asher







1 comment:

Laura said...

That was not only an adorable video, it was a wonderful demonstration of motherly patience.